Happy New Year. We know you made many New Year’s resolutions for this year. Exercise and losing weight seem to appear on most lists. So do travel and spending more time with family and friends. But do your New Year’s resolutions include things to improve the plumbing in your house to keep things flowing smoothly?
We thought not. Therefore, here are some simple resolutions.
- Be kind to your garbage disposal. No large food items. Nothing stringy. Nothing oily. No coffee grounds. And use generous amounts of cold water to flush ground-up waste downstream, helping to avoid a sink back-up.
- Be kind to your toilets as well. Human waste and toilet paper…ONLY!
- Maintain your water heater. Flush it occasionally. And have it professionally checked once a year..
- Insulate your pipes during the winter to keep the water from freezing and causing the pipes to burst.
- Go green. Invest in low-flow toilets and showerheads. Make sure your dishwasher, washer and dryer are energy efficient as well.
- Have leaks repaired immediately. One drip per second can waste more than 2,000 gallons a year, enough to flush a toilet 1,300 times.